Engine gone kaput?

#1 by reddog , Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:02 pm

Hi Guys
Not having much luck of late with the beast.

Was just about to go in to have extra rad fitted to stop gearbox overheating when it stalled whist turning a corner (not easy with an auto)
Tried to restart but sounded as though struggling so left it alone and waited (and waited) for the RAC.
It initially re-started but sounded rough so switched it off but on instruction from RAC man tried again this time started then cut out.
It was then sadly towed to the garage
Initial checks brought similar results with the engine sounding dry and tight before suddenly returning to normal. As a guess and want of anything else to try the oil was flushed and cleaned and new filter and more fresh oil.

ran as normal for over two weeks until totally out of the blue Banging and clanking noise from engine.

Have found the minefield of sharks thieves and vagabonds claiming they will refurb engine but most not even registered as a company and a drive round the supposed address on google reveals nothing apart from the occasional scrap yard.
I now have a seasoned engine man willing to "have a listen " by phone just for some advice, he seems intrigued that it worked ok after an oil change after something that should be so traumatic to the engine.

Anyone on here had any similar issues got any advice as to sourcing engines etc ( Milners is on my doorstep but not seen many good reports)

Thanks

reddog
Date registered 10.02.2020

RE: Engine gone kaput?

#2 by ronniecabers , Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:34 am

Milners suppliers changed their engine supplier so the engines indeed are worse than they were , I think they have even stopped selling the K74 version now. KS international used to sell them too. MAybe Thorntons breakers for a used one out of a scrapper??

Doesn't sound like your engine will be running in ahurry

Thread locking available here...no fee!

ronniecabers
Forum Legend
Date registered 11.09.2012

Engine replacement
L200 Speedo not working (2007) 2.5 manual

Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor