Bleeping Computers

#1 by ronniecabers , Mon May 27, 2013 12:02 pm

Hi,

Got a Dell Dimension C521 ( old as the houses ! ) , decided it wouldn't turn on yesterday morning, Powerlight on for a second then straight off, Great! Further investigation worked out that by unplugging the 4 pin Atx 12v cable , all components would fire up , obviously excpt the the Motherboard, so guessing thats goosed then! Main question is how hard is it to get the info off the old hard drive, as it has lots of photos and wifes work documents on it. Is there just a cable , or system that i can bplug and play into another machine? Also is this comp even worth repairing, have seen on Ebay c521 with no Hard drive but mines the AMD 64 Athlan x2 ( whtever that means ) and the cheapest one on ebay doesn't only looks like a Athlan x1 ( if there is such a thing ) ....whats the differnces???

CHeers
Kieron

Thread locking available here...no fee!

ronniecabers
Forum Legend
Date registered 11.09.2012

RE: Bleeping Computers

#2 by dazmanf , Mon May 27, 2013 12:05 pm

Tower unit? Try opening and making sure the mother board hasn't come loose, due to movement etc. similar happened to my compaq and turned out the motherboard came loose when I walked by and kicked it

2003 warrior RIP Monday 10th February 2014
2001 trojan green over silver, 30mm wheel spacers, all terrains, side steps removed, egr blanked, air con unit, rad and tension plate removed.
Trojan died the ole bitch, driving a Peugeot 406 now ffs

dazmanf
Date registered 09.07.2012

#3 by ronniecabers , Mon May 27, 2013 12:14 pm

Cheers Daz,

Had the the connections off to test the Power supply, only goes off when reconnect the 4pin ATX plug. Was on a shelf under the monitor so as far as I know it hasn't moved. It was in standby, wouldn't restart, so turned it off and it just wouldn't come back on. Oh as a side note when just doublechecking it due to Daz's suggestion, something on the board clicks quietly just before it goes off.

ronniecabers
Forum Legend

#4 by LezT , Mon May 27, 2013 3:34 pm

Ronnie, the hard drive can be just swapped into a new computor and run as a slave if you wish, so most of the files etc are very safe mate. Also possible, not 100% to run this drive straight into a new computor and m/board..... Skotl will be ya mman for nitty gritty mate..

K74 02 plate
Shoggy Sport 3.0 v6
2E0LEZ
Kenwood TS670.. Yaesu FT575GX.. YaesuFT8800D.....Yaesu FT897
Yaese FT101ZD......20M BitX3C TXRX
Kenwood Chef.....Goblin Teasmaid

“If electricity comes from electrons, does morality come from morons”
FORUM MODERATOR...

LezT
Forum Legend
Date registered 10.01.2011

#5 by skotl , Mon May 27, 2013 9:07 pm

Hi Ronnie

could be the motherboard or the supply, but most likely the motherboard.

The disk is probably fine and you can certainly, as Lez suggests, plug it into another / new machine and get access to your files. Any programs that you had on it (Office, Photoshop, etc) would not be accessible though, so you would need the original CD/DVD to reinstall them.
Images, vids, documents, etc should be fine.

The only challenge may be if the disk uses an old style connector that may not be present on whatever new computer you buy. That's not the end of the world, though, as you can buy adapters to/from most types of hard disk.

How comfortable are you with the innards? You could buy a new motherboard which, as long as it was roughly the same dimensions, should fit your case. Your existing power supply (assuming it's not goosed) may or may not fit a new motherboard - depends what you're going from and too.
Or are you thinking (as you suggest) of buying a whole enclosure with motherboard, power supply, memory, etc?

2006 warrior auto, black&chrome, roll bars, TopUp load cover. K&N, reverse sensors, cruise, BFG AT KO 265/70/17, surfari snorkel. Stainless straight through side exhaust. nderbody armour. Rock-sliders

skotl
Forum Legend
Date registered 02.09.2012

#6 by ronniecabers , Tue May 28, 2013 8:53 am

Hi Skotl,

Cheers for the reply.

I was really looking at options. The easiest I can see is to get a whole enclosure ( from ebay probably! ). The only thing I can see as an issue is the one I am thinking off doesn't make reference to AMD 64 Athlon x2 , from what I can see of the case it is just a standard Athalon x1 and I don't know if thsi will affect the processing speed, as all I would do is swap over the Hard drive, this would also be by far the cheapest option !
The other option, change the motherboard for a new one, but at £100 or so, for a seven year old comp, not convinced its a wise move. That obviously leaves buying a new comp BUT...i don't want Windows 8 ( only just got used to windows 7 on the works laptop! ) and they all seem to come with it now, plus i don't really have the funds to go out and spend anywhere from £ 200 upwards for a decent comp.

Would I be right in assuming that most computers , when they start running slowly thus would be down to the RAM and processor speeds ( complete wild guess as don't really know a lot about computers! ) . The reason I ask is the Laptop I use at home, sometimes decides it will go really slowly,. I also have access to another desktop that even after completely cleaning it out it still runs really slowly and just wondered what would be causing them to run so badly!

Cheers
Kieron

ronniecabers
Forum Legend

#7 by robl200 , Tue May 28, 2013 11:57 am

I have a cable that allows me to connect an IDE hard disk into a USB port and get the info off that way.
You can also get them for SATA discs. Will just depend on what system your computer runs

Y reg trojan 184k now sold after 8 years of off road shenanigans and rebuilds and laffs!!

02 4life 72k in pieces!!

robl200
Date registered 10.02.2011

#8 by skotl , Tue May 28, 2013 1:55 pm

Quote: ronniecabers wrote in post #6
...I was really looking at options. The easiest I can see is to get a whole enclosure ( from ebay probably! ). The only thing I can see as an issue is the one I am thinking off doesn't make reference to AMD 64 Athlon x2 , from what I can see of the case it is just a standard Athalon x1 and I don't know if thsi will affect the processing speed, as all I would do is swap over the Hard drive, this would also be by far the cheapest option !

The problem is we don't know what's wrong with your current setup. I'd lean toward the motherboard but it could still be the PSU, the CPU (the Athlon) or a combination of any.
So, if you buy a bare motherboard then you need to wonder whether your existing CPU will fit or even whether it will still fit.
It's also unlikely your memory will fit so you will probably need to buy new memory, too.

...The other option, change the motherboard for a new one, but at £100 or so, for a seven year old comp, not convinced its a wise move.

As above. Physically, a new motherboard will fit, but you'll need to buy a CPU and memory, too. If you don't have a spare hard drive (or buy a new one) then you'll need to be ultra careful that you don't wipe your existing drive when you put whatever operating system (see next point) on. Ideally (and I know it's all money ) you want to use a different hard drive so that you can plug your old one in, after it all works, and get your pics and docs off it.

... That obviously leaves buying a new comp BUT...i don't want Windows 8 ( only just got used to windows 7 on the works laptop! ) and they all seem to come with it now, plus i don't really have the funds to go out and spend anywhere from £ 200 upwards for a decent comp.

Windows 8 is quite horrid so I'm with you there. Do you still have your original Windows 7 DVD and, more important, the licence key? If you bought a branded computer then the licence key is likely on a sticker on the body but you probably wouldn't have got a DVD with it.

...Would I be right in assuming that most computers , when they start running slowly thus would be down to the RAM and processor speeds ( complete wild guess as don't really know a lot about computers! ) . The reason I ask is the Laptop I use at home, sometimes decides it will go really slowly,. I also have access to another desktop that even after completely cleaning it out it still runs really slowly and just wondered what would be causing them to run so badly!

Pretty much - adding memory solves a lot of performance woes.

So, you have access to another desktop... are the components physically compatible with your knackered computer? If so, you could try swapping the power supply over to rule that out (as it's the cheapest component to replace).

Post up what "spare" kit you have lying around (hard disks, power supplies, etc) and I'll have a rummage around to see what I've got that may help.

2006 warrior auto, black&chrome, roll bars, TopUp load cover. K&N, reverse sensors, cruise, BFG AT KO 265/70/17, surfari snorkel. Stainless straight through side exhaust. nderbody armour. Rock-sliders

skotl
Forum Legend

#9 by ronniecabers , Tue May 28, 2013 4:11 pm

Wenn Sie hier auf Links zu eBay klicken und einen Kauf tätigen, kann dies dazu führen, dass diese Website eine Provision erhält.
Cheers for the explanations.
Problem solved ( I hope ) ..... the wife logged onto my ebay a/c and purchased the following : Item no. 230987781342 ( don't know how to do links not that clever but heres the copy and paste ! Werbung: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/230987781342?s...984.m1497.l2649 )

Don't know if its any good or not, lots of technical blurp, I know its second hand but hey it looks good enough! What do ya think?

Cheers
Kieron

The following contents have been linked to this post::

ronniecabers
Forum Legend

#10 by skotl , Tue May 28, 2013 4:28 pm

Wenn Sie hier auf Links zu eBay klicken und einen Kauf tätigen, kann dies dazu führen, dass diese Website eine Provision erhält.

Bloody hell - for £50 that is an absolute bargain!

You just need to find out whether your old hard drive will fit it. If it looks like this;

then you will likely need Werbung: one of these to convert it to SATA. Don't splurge your £3.99 yet, tho, as your new computer may have a single PATA (the connector in the picture) in which case you can plug it straight in.

One thing I would say is that the 80GB drive that comes with that PC is going to be a bit tight once you've put Windows and Office on it, probably leaving around 30-40GB free. So worth splurging £25 on Werbung: a new 320GB SATA disk

Good luck!

skotl
Forum Legend

Last edited 05.28.2013 | Top

#11 by ronniecabers , Fri May 31, 2013 8:08 pm

Skotl,

Got the new comp.....Both old and new hardrives are SATA, silly question, whats the best way of getting my old hardrive up and running??

Cheers
Kieron

ronniecabers
Forum Legend

#12 by skotl , Fri May 31, 2013 8:12 pm

Depends (as ever!).

Forgetting your original drive for now, does the ebay computer start up? Runs windows and you can log into it?

skotl
Forum Legend

#13 by ronniecabers , Fri May 31, 2013 8:26 pm

Yep, New computer up and running, has Windows 7 as the operating system, and can log in fine.

ronniecabers
Forum Legend

#14 by skotl , Fri May 31, 2013 8:33 pm

Groovy. Switch it all off then, and pull the lead out of the back (the motherboard still has power even when it is "off") then plug your original disk into what is hopefully a spare SATA socket.

If it only has two sockets then the DVD/CD drive may be in the second one - unplug that for now, then plug your original drive into that slot.

Power on, Windows on, go to "Computer" and you should hopefully see a second drive appear which is your original one.

In the unlikely event you only have a single SATA socket, let us know and we'll come up with a different plan.

skotl
Forum Legend

#15 by ronniecabers , Fri May 31, 2013 8:39 pm

Silly question, so I don't have to take the DVD drive out, is there a way I can just connect the old hard drive a s a spare drive and collect the documents /photos/files , as and when needed , or will I have compatibility issues seeing as old is XP and new is 7??

ronniecabers
Forum Legend

#16 by LezT , Fri May 31, 2013 8:58 pm

I think you will still be able to 'see' the files and should be able to use them, sure I have heard this before..

K74 02 plate
Shoggy Sport 3.0 v6
2E0LEZ

FORUM MODERATOR...

LezT
Forum Legend

#17 by skotl , Fri May 31, 2013 9:04 pm

There will be no compatibility problems between the XP disk and Win7.

Are there just the two SATA sockets on the board, then? First step is just pull the cable off the DVD and plug it into your old disk and verify everything is ok.
We can figure out a more permanent solution after that.

skotl
Forum Legend

Last edited 05.31.2013 | Top

#18 by ronniecabers , Fri May 31, 2013 9:04 pm

That's what I thought Lez, but seen these connector type things on Ebay and just not 100% sure which type I need as they all seem to mention different size ( in inches ) disks , and I just haven't got a clue!

ronniecabers
Forum Legend

#19 by ronniecabers , Fri May 31, 2013 9:05 pm

Skotl,
yep just the two, and not a lot of room inside the computer either!

ronniecabers
Forum Legend

#20 by skotl , Fri May 31, 2013 9:06 pm

Quote: ronniecabers wrote in post #18
That's what I thought Lez, but seen these connector type things on Ebay and just not 100% sure which type I need as they all seem to mention different size ( in inches ) disks , and I just haven't got a clue!

^^ see my answer from a minute back ^^

you can't hurt the old disk, so don't worry too much about that

skotl
Forum Legend

#21 by LezT , Fri May 31, 2013 9:06 pm

It's not so much the drive size, your's will be a large one....hehawhehaw....it'll be the type of interface... SATA, IDE EIDE etc Mr Skotl is our resi' expert for compy things.. I'll be leaving it to him as he knows all the big words....... like UGE...

K74 02 plate
Shoggy Sport 3.0 v6
2E0LEZ

FORUM MODERATOR...

LezT
Forum Legend

#22 by skotl , Fri May 31, 2013 9:06 pm

Kieron - PM sent with me mobile number - probably easier than doing it here

skotl
Forum Legend

#23 by skotl , Fri May 31, 2013 9:25 pm

Good to talk to you, Kieron.

So, for everyone else's benefit it transpires there is only a single SATA socket inside the PC (the DVD is on some kind of oddball proprietary connector). Your PC is up and running with the supplied disk and you can get into Windows 7, no problem.

The easiest way to get access to the old SATA disk is to put it in a SATA-->USB enclosure like this one, at just over £9 delivered; Werbung: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-5-SATA-to-US...=item51a67ba9b4

There are similar items available on ebay and the keywords are; 3.5" disk ("standard size", as opposed to 2.5" laptop size), USB, SATA, Enclosure

You will then simply be able to plug it into your new PC and access the files that are on it. There should not be a problem accessing a WinXP drive from Win7 but there can be problems going the other way, depending what security has been applied. In your case, I don't believe you'll have any problems.

Finally, as discussed, please get into the habit of backing up important docs/pics to USB stick, DVD, etc

Cheers

skotl
Forum Legend

#24 by ronniecabers , Fri May 31, 2013 9:38 pm

Good to talk to you too Scott,

Cheers for al the help and advice, much appreciated

Said adaptor has been purchased , so hopefully the wife will get off my back now !

Agree about getting in the habit to back up regularly, thing is the wife even loses the memory sticks , so I'm stuffed either way , might put it on a bit of string attached to the side of the monitor, can't go missing then!

Once again , oh and not forgetting Lez

where else would a member offer advice by phone at 9 at night ?

Cheers
Kieron

ronniecabers
Forum Legend

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
bottom ball joint

Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor