Heating issues in L200 IV?

#1 by Jasper , Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:50 am

Dear gentlemen,

any help in this will greatly be appreciated. This issue may not concern the L200/Triton models only but probably also other models using the same parts. It has got colder in the meantime and when I set a desired interior temperature on the dial the system heats more or less. Then I raise the temp to say 26 degrees Centigrade (it is 16 outside) and the system basically does nothing noticeable and more or less remains the same. One would expect there would be an inrush of hot air in to the cabin yet... there is not. One cannot say the system is not heating. It is. The temp inside seems more or less comfortable but I am not sure I understand the HVAC system correctly. The HVAC system is automatic in this model - i.e. there are 3 rotary dials. The first setting the air distribution, the second setting the fan speed with the third setting the required interior temperature. The setup is as follows: AC is on, recirc is off, the engine running and at operating temperature.

When I thought I wanted a warmer cabin I raised the required temperature slightly on the dial and had a feeling nothing was really changing. Testing this I raised the required temp to 27 degrees (which is a selectable max. There is only one more detent after this which I presume is to tell the system I really want the heat in case the automatic fails where the automatic is bypassed) and expected there would be an inrush of hot air as for the system to achieve the required 27 degrees. Nothing of the sort happened. When I turn the dial to max position (the last detent past the 27 degree mark) hot air starts rushing in.

So flaps do work after all. When I however have the temp set to say 27 degrees there is no hot air rushing in. I am slightly confused with this system. Any thoughts, ideas?

Thank you.

Jasper

Jasper  
Jasper
Date registered 04.26.2021

RE: Heating issues in L200 IV?

#2 by ronniecabers , Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:03 am

It may be that it is warming up gradually to your desired temperature? My suggestion would be to put a thermoter /temp guage in the cabin with you for a few days and see if the cabin temperature does alter when you change the settings

Thread locking available here...no fee!

ronniecabers
Forum Legend
Date registered 11.09.2012

RE: Heating issues in L200 IV?

#3 by Jasper , Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:28 am

Quote: ronniecabers wrote in post #2
It may be that it is warming up gradually to your desired temperature? My suggestion would be to put a thermoter /temp guage in the cabin with you for a few days and see if the cabin temperature does alter when you change the settings

Thank you for coming back. Naturally I will test this with time (and colder weather). The confusion stems from the fact that in all other cars I've so far had when one raises the temp not slightly but by a lot the system also reacts with a lot of change felt and not gradually. With slight adjustments one would expect an almost unnoticed slight change, with a considerable adjustment one would expect a noticeable change. When I am cold in the cabin I want instant heat-up. Methinks.

The information on this is rather scarce on the web. So far I have been able to locate only pieces of info with people saying that the outside temp probe is, for some strange reason, too close to the radiator and affected by it and a 10 degree measured difference stemming from this setup affects the whole auto system and that the system thus needs a 10 minute drive with air past the probe to recalibrate or something. Is this only required once every time I crank up the engine or each time after not moving? Seems strange there would be such a system at all. Some other people say they need to turn up the temp dial in winter way up to have some decent heat in the cabin ultimately turning the auto system to manual and that this is the way the system works which sounds absolutely stupid to me.

Leaves one confused.

Jasper  
Jasper
Date registered 04.26.2021

3000w inverter
Engine replacement

Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor