The 'Rust Bucket' re-build

#1 by Antonio , Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:10 pm

Well....finaly started to work on the truck today.

Spent two days clearing the back yard, and sorting out my tools that i have'nt used for a long time....then had to take out a post that was above the gates to get the truck in!

FORUM AREA REPRESENTATIVE - North East England - Lincolnshire
1998 twin cab, import,3" Full chrome bars/spots all round, tints,deflectors, 2.5" suspension lift, 2.5" body lift, polly bushes, rear diff lock, 33"x12.5" KL71 tyres on 15"x10" rims.
Snorkel........OH!! and lots of rust.
1991 Pajero 2.5td SWB, import
1996 Pajero 2.8td LWB, import
NEXT MODS
CB radio
Front Winch plate+winch
Airbrush bodywork

Attached pictures:
You do not have the necessary rights to view attached pictures

Antonio
Date registered 04.21.2014

RE: The 'Rust Bucket' re-build

#2 by Antonio , Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:20 pm

Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

A first good look under it to see what's to deal with.....well good thing i'm changing most parts!

Thought i could change all bits i have in three days.....but realisticly.....looks like 5-6days to do a decent job..

1998 twin cab, import,3" Full chrome bars/spots all round, tints,deflectors, 2.5" suspension lift, 2.5" body lift, polly bushes, rear diff lock, 33"x12.5" KL71 tyres on 15"x10" rims.
NEXT MODS
CB radio
Front Winch plate+winch
Airbrush bodywork

Antonio

#3 by Antonio , Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:25 pm

Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

First job...tow ball off,..........and all parts that need to go on

NEXT MODS
CB radio
Front Winch plate+winch
Airbrush bodywork

Antonio

#4 by Antonio , Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:43 pm

Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Had to use nut spliter on top and bottom to get shock off......a taste of things to come i guess, and just tried positioning of new shock.

Start again in the morning....was going to spend weekend on it, but got reminded that "we are going away this weekend"

Again realisticly i think its going to be 16-24months to do most the work......a long blog!...

so any comments, advice.....and feel free to mock and feel sorry for me ok

T.

NEXT MODS
CB radio
Front Winch plate+winch
Airbrush bodywork

Attached pictures:

Antonio

Last edited 06.18.2014 | Top

#5 by Antonio , Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:40 pm

Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)]Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Well as you can see just enough room to work, and left a bit of cover over at the back in case it rains...i had to knock the rest down last year to get the truck in (and deflate tyres), so i am able to raise it.
lots of WD40 and waiting it out to minimise damage.....got most of nuts and bolts loose or split off. Going to change some of the brake pipes, corosion had the best of them, so flaring tool needs to come out!
Had a go at cleaning off a bit of chassis to have an idea of work to do....not to bad, most the flaking is layers of underseal pealing off.
Have to sweep up every couple of hours...gettin covered in it.

NEXT MODS
CB radio
Front Winch plate+winch
Airbrush bodywork

Antonio

#6 by Lemmy , Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:55 pm

Reminds men of Land Rover ownership. I threw away years of my life on that ferrous rubbish.

Lemmy  
Lemmy
Date registered 02.13.2014

#7 by Antonio , Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:54 pm

Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Well....still working on it when i can....
everything has been removed now including exhaust.....and every single nut and bolt has it's story! split, hamered or grinded.
bumper will be going back on but not the tow bar....will just have two u shackles flush with the bumper for tow straps etc.
tried to get part of a snaped shock off....and as you can see it disintegrated the mount lol, so need to re-build and re-weld one in there.
wanted to take tub off but with the amount of work required for everything you have to do will have to leave it till after KORC meet...
will have to move things to make the meet....wanted 35"x 12.5" x 15" but will have to get temp ones in 31" on my regular rims.
Also got my 4"arches off Jo, and other bits, again no time to put these on....but will just have to roll it in glitter for the meet LOL....will be in the 'rat rod' cat.for now.

NEXT MODS
CB radio
Front Winch plate+winch
Airbrush bodywork

Antonio

#8 by Antonio , Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:22 pm

Just something i want to point out to anyone that has a 'roll and lock' on the back tub.....check between the tub and cab that the water discharcharge tubes don't run water on the chassis....from what i can see from when it has been raining this has contributed to a lot of the rust and rot around the shock mount and that part of the chassis....i will be extending these away from the chassis.

NEXT MODS
CB radio
Front Winch plate+winch
Airbrush bodywork

Antonio

#9 by Antonio , Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:33 pm

Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Well...another job done that wasa'nt expected but is on its way to be sorted.....not happy with it so will be making a template of the the mount and cover and weld a 4mm plate over it as i'v noticed it's thin in some places....
Need to check all chassis before Kirton, not easy cos i wanted to strip it to bare metal....only way you to be 100% sure for me.
Don't think i will be doin front suspension before Kirton ither....Lucky if i make it with what i have on now!

Any tips and advice are welcome from anyone.....
And no i won't scrap it LOL.

NEXT MODS
CB radio
Front Winch plate+winch
Airbrush bodywork

Antonio

#10 by McK , Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:42 pm

I would remake the full hanger. Do it once do it right as they say.

McK  
McK
Date registered 09.09.2012

#11 by Antonio , Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:03 am

Thanks for support guys, just want to get it on road for Kirton so i'l plate over for now....Its so thin in places like car body so i will make it safe for now. And follow Bri's advice and make new hangers.

NEXT MODS
CB radio
Front Winch plate+winch
Airbrush bodywork

Antonio

#12 by Antonio , Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:40 pm

Well....i have tacked a plate in place on the hanger for the moment.....just to make it safe.
Will make a new hangers further down the line (as sugested by Brian @McK....thanks), just need to be practical and get it back on the road 'safely' as soon as possible for the moment.

Will be investing in new mig, plasma cutter and compressor before exmas to help with re-fabrication....gonna be a bigger build than i thought!

NEXT MODS
CB radio
Front Winch plate+winch
Airbrush bodywork

Attached pictures:

Antonio

Last edited 08.10.2014 | Top

#13 by Antonio , Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:52 pm

Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Seen as pic's were on last post i'l continue....shock mount is too far gone so will fabricate new ones....the bolt type on lezT shackles are ideal, just need shorter ones.

As i'm doing this i am going to place them 2" lower, weld them to a plate to work better with the shackle lift, just bought new shocks not worth re-buying +2" again. Will post what i do tommorow.

NEXT MODS
CB radio
Front Winch plate+winch
Airbrush bodywork

Antonio

#14 by Antonio , Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:39 pm

Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Busy day today....
Exhaust back on first as its easy without axle in the way...
preped leaf's and attached to front hangers, then run in axle on trolly jack...just put bolt through on back shackles to keep everything up, then built up/fixed axle to leaf's and bolted prop to diff just need to torque everthing up, now i can see/know where my brackets need to be for the shocks.
Extended the brake hose bracket too.
Took battery out....was already disconected but discharged, so charging up......looking under the hood it could do with a clean lol.

NEXT MODS
CB radio
Front Winch plate+winch
Airbrush bodywork

Antonio

#15 by Antonio , Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:49 pm

'Got to be ready' for Kirton, just need brakes and a quick oil/filter change.....roll in glitter or what i can do, but it will be on the road....if i knew you where at Kirton Surfer we could have met up for a drink mate.

NEXT MODS
CB radio
Front Winch plate+winch
Airbrush bodywork

Antonio

#16 by Antonio , Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:50 pm

Oh! and fabricate shock mounts!!

NEXT MODS
CB radio
Front Winch plate+winch
Airbrush bodywork

Antonio

#17 by Antonio , Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:27 pm

Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Did this last Sunday, haven't had time to post due to work.
This is first stage of the top shock mounts. Needed somthing to bolt on for now cos don't want to risk cutting and damaging in any way the chassis till after Kirton.
Got some 6mm plate and angle, cut it, mocked it up.....and welded it (bought this welder 30yrs ago! lern't to weld on it! still goin strong.)
It's only temp. but should hold up fine....will finish and bolt this weekend and post pic's.
This also gives me the chance to lower the shocks 2-3".

NEXT MODS
CB radio
Front Winch plate+winch
Airbrush bodywork

Antonio

#18 by Antonio , Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:48 pm

Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Well....will try to do a couple of hours a day apart weekend.....or wonn't make the meet.
brackets are comming along..torqued down springs/shackles, u-bolts etc.
Bolt snapped on the brake proportioning valve tensioner adjuster (wow that was a mouth full!!) so drill out...and now has a shinny new bolt.
New brake hose....and silicone breather/and diff lock pipes, just need jubilie clips.....can't find where i put em...always the case...put em on after.
Brake pipes tommorow...
at the moment i'm very tired with workin nights but got to get this done, hope to have shocks on by this Sunday....we will see.

NEXT MODS
CB radio
Front Winch plate+winch
Airbrush bodywork

Antonio

#19 by Antonio , Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:03 pm

Another busy day.....wind...rain...what happened to summer???
Finished brake lines.....one of the rear cylinders blocked....took it off and managed to sort it, back on, all sorted...
New oil in the diff
Then the vice broke!!!! and i had to sort that.
Finally got the temp. shock mounts finished, seem lined up ok...find out in the next days....
Only one concern.....seems to be a bit more backlash in the axle than the limit value....5mm.....
need to get it on road to be sure...

NEXT MODS
CB radio
Front Winch plate+winch
Airbrush bodywork

Antonio

#20 by 123hotchef , Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:06 am

looking good mate you are working hard

AREA REPRESENTATIVE: South East England
'PYROCHEF'

123hotchef
Forum Legend
Date registered 02.15.2012

#21 by Antonio , Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:32 pm

On its wheels again,started first time, tommorow bumper on and take it for a spin

NEXT MODS
CB radio
Front Winch plate+winch
Airbrush bodywork

Antonio

#22 by Antonio , Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:39 pm

Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Well thats it for now till after the weekender.....
cut down the tow bar.....made holes for shakles (10mm steel...what a job with a 16mm drill bit!!)...shakles on..
Bumper and number plate back on....and thats it..
Not had time to put diff lock pump on......but will be on next time i go out...
off to work now...i'l take it for a spin in mornin..

NEXT MODS
CB radio
Front Winch plate+winch
Airbrush bodywork

Antonio

#23 by Antonio , Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:15 pm

Well time to get the build rolling again,
After the fail at Kirton cos of the front drive not working time to move on and keep goin
Thanks to all that tried to help at Kirton and on the Auto lock thread,
@diggermandan dan for all the helpfull info...your the man

So...Plan is to concentrate on front end....all of it for now. All i will do to the back is remove the bumper and rig up the diff lock pump.
Will start with looking at the damage to the hub, if i can replace the snapped grub screw and do a good job...will see
Refurbish front suspension bushes, ball joints (Add lift), shocks, callipers refurbished if i can, new brake lines, winch tray.....
and....lots of welding...

NEXT MODS
CB radio
Front Winch plate+winch
Airbrush bodywork

Antonio

#24 by Antonio , Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:42 pm

Can see the truck slowly starting to change, The rear shocks and springs etc. have transformed the truck....really comfy ride, as @Alan G would say my spine dose'nt have to fuse together every trip i take out with it, and think there is more articulation too.
Started to take bash plates off.......had to drill heads off most the nuts to minimise damage....and i can see this is a lot bigger job than the back so will have to be in stages.

NEXT MODS
CB radio
Front Winch plate+winch
Airbrush bodywork

Antonio

#25 by Antonio , Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:47 pm

Quote: 123hotchef wrote in post #62
Quote: Antonio wrote in post #56

Can see the truck slowly starting to change, The rear shocks and springs etc. have transformed the truck....really comfy ride, as @Alan G would say my spine dose'nt have to fuse together every trip i take out with it, and think there is more articulation too.
Started to take bash plates off.......had to drill heads off most the nuts to minimise damage....and i can see this is a lot bigger job than the back so will have to be in stages.

bloody bash plates!

lol

now u gotta tap them out too

Yep @123hotchef it's now of standard re-drill,tappin and new bolts

NEXT MODS
CB radio
Front Winch plate+winch
Airbrush bodywork

Antonio

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Peter H's L200, build in Belgium...

Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor