looking to purchase a l200 this week

#1 by domdee ( Guest ) , Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:03 pm

Hi all,

As the titale sugests. I am looking to purchase an l200 this week. its a 2006 model with 67k on the cloack. It has had a timing belt change at 62k and reconditioned injectors fitted at the same time also (due to starting issues). Is there anything i should be careful of when going to view it? Any common faults? Sounds to listen out for? Play/movement to look out for?

Very cautous as i need it to be spot on as i a have a baby on the way and dont want to be forking out money unnecessarily on a new purchase.

And on a final note, how much would you think its worth? it has a few age related battle scars but nothing major, and interior is pretty clean.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Cheers, Dominic

domdee

RE: looking to purchase a l200 this week

#2 by domdee ( Guest ) , Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:58 am

Have registered @admin. Just waiting for authorisation.

Cheers, Dominic

domdee

#3 by krutly , Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:04 am

what shape truck are you going to look at bud ?
2006 was the changeover year for models so could be a late classic (first truck on the left in the L200 forum banner at top of page)
or it could be an early newshape or pram as they are affectionately refereed to as (last truck on the right in the banner above)
67k is very low mileage for a 12 year old truck so based on the age alone it should have had 2 cam belt changes by now
if it's on ebay then post up the item number and we'll give you an honest appraisal of what's good/bad about it

SOUTHWEST ENGLAND - AREA REP
2003 4life now sold
2011 walkinshaw , lego mechanic

krutly
Forum Legend
Date registered 10.21.2011

#4 by domdee ( Guest ) , Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:18 pm

Wenn Sie hier auf Links zu eBay klicken und einen Kauf tätigen, kann dies dazu führen, dass diese Website eine Provision erhält.

Thanks for your reply.
It’s the newer shaped one in that darkish shade of green. Got proof of latest cam belt change and service and mot history checker proves low miles between test.
Yes it is on eBay. Don’t fancy posting the link in case someone beats me too it haha.
There is no documented history by previous owner to seller but apparently he was an old school boy and serviced himself.
Had recent rear springs.
Getting new brakes fitted this week.
Will be having new MOT on it this week too.
He tells me no warning lights on dash and all drive train works as should.
No signs of cylinder head faults.
I don’t think it’s had a hard life as such.
It’s got the brand new style alloy wheels on - will be looking to sell these and revert back to standard steel rims.

All that said. Is there any basic things to check for when I view it and hopefully purchase at the weekend?

Is there any way to speed up account activations? Thanks.

domdee

#5 by krutly , Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:41 pm

ight, I've had a shufty on ebay ....... I'm guessing it's the one with the personalized plate on it

have a good look underneath as the mot history mentions brake pipe corrosion
looks like it's had new springs so may well have worked for a living , which would explain the various dents and scrapes
it is the base model so there are less things to go wrong with it like electric windows and the like
it'll have an easy select gearbox so 4wd can only be used on slippery surfaces like the previous models

SOUTHWEST ENGLAND - AREA REP
2003 4life now sold
2011 walkinshaw , lego mechanic

krutly
Forum Legend
Date registered 10.21.2011

#6 by domdee ( Guest ) , Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:35 pm

Yes thats the one.
Is the easy select gear box a good or bad thing? My neighbour has a similar one and noticed in the ice he only has it in 2 wheel drive.
Yes will look out for pipes underside. Been an advisory for a couple years so hopefully might be picked up on new mot if bad.
I have been sent some more detailed pictures of battle scars. Not a major concern but will get better shots of inside the tub. Chassis looks ok. Obviously surface rust but any particular places to check in depth?
Are there any common weak points of this particular model?

Thanks. Dominic

domdee

#7 by Nick , Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:03 pm

Easy select 4x4 is on the lower spec models, 4work and 4life,
So cannot be driven in 4x4 anytime anywhere, needs roads covered in mud / snow.
TBH a 12yr old L200 isn't a vehicle to own if you are on a tight budget, They are not cheap to run, and will prob need a fair bit of work to keep running.
Have you checked how much it's going cost to insure as they are a Commercial vehicle.

2017 Ford Kuga AWD 180 Titanium X.
2018 Abarth 595 - Now Sold.
2013 Grey Barbarian - Now Sold
2006 Black Warrior (New Shape) - Now Sold
2005 Black Warrior (Classic) - Now Sold
Stoke On Trent

Nick
Date registered 10.02.2011

Last edited 08.14.2018 | Top

#8 by domdee ( Guest ) , Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:25 pm

Load bed has a load liner in and is in decent nick. Thought be be fitted from new.

Why are they not cheap to run? Fuel? Servicing? Breakdowns?
What’s typical to go wrong on this year truck?
Insurance is good. £400 the year fully comp. I’ve had 2 accidents too. Same price as my Octavia 4x4.

It’s not going to be a heavy working vehicle. But will be doing 55 miles a day commuting on mixed country roads/ city roads/ dual carriageway.

I need the pick up as I have a big garden and tip runs, logging, hauling eBay buys, and under taking an extension next year so building supplies.

Thanks

domdee

2006 L200 Warrior - horn & airbag light
Play in Drive train

Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor